Uzbekistan




Once again thanks to Uzbekistan we are introduced to another new ingredient,  Barberry.  Being a multicultural city it does not take much effort to find exotic ingredients most times.   That is until humans get involved.   On my search on Sunday morning for this berry I asked Victoria to call a supermarket chain that specializes in Arabian foods and ingredients from the middle east.   She called and asked customer service do you carry Barberries ?  response was huh whats that ?  Barberries,  No we don't have that.   Victoria calls me and says no they don't have this.  So I went straight to that supermarket to buy it.   Sadly quality service in large supermarkets seems to be more of a memory then reality.  A friend of mine years ago said to me sometimes a business is in business inspite of themselves.

The Menu

Achchik-Chuckuk

A simple salad with red wine vinegar, olive oil and finely sliced cucumbers, red onions and tomatoes. Victoria commented on how good it tasted while being so simple.  There was a secret to this that made this salad really pop.  Simply put a mandolin,  by slicing so thin the red onions and cucumbers what you did is maximize flavour.  I have this theory that in reality you only taste 15-20% percent of the food as most of it you just swallow.  My theory is that because this salad was so finely sliced it gave it a higher surface area and thus a higher flavour to tongue ration....  So thats my theory and will stick with it until proven wrong.  

Uzbek Plov

Every once in a while a dish surprises you.  This was one of those dishes where I expected a certain taste and ended up with a complete different taste and flavour profile then I imagined.   Barberries, lamb, carrots and onions with a medley of spices then finished in a similar style to an Indian biryani.  I was so surprised in how this whole dish came together and just how delicious this combination way.   This is one of those dishes that will go into the favourite pile for sure.  There was just something about this combination that worked so well.



Bukharan Lavz

While making this dish I knew my wife would love it,  and I would not be its greatest fan.  A combination of almonds, walnuts and pistachios in a simple syrup with rose water and then left to set.  Victoria liked it and my wife loved it with me meh its ok I guess.  However I shall rant on the price of nuts its nuts !!


Uzbekistan was a challenge in a different way then our next country.  From an abundance of recipes to a really hard time to find some for Wallis and Futuna.   I have discovered I can google using a different countries google site.   However there is something lost in the translation I am sure.  For some reason Pig's tail and chocolate pie with cream pig whipped till well done does not sound right.  But in the interest of science I must try this one day.  






Comments