Rwanda



Rwanda cuisine is straight to the point of what is available in local staples.  Spices are generally not used and flavourings are kept very simple.  After researching some recipes I was worried that the food would be rather bland.  Also eating dessert was not a custom in Rwanda.  I reluctantly decided on two recipes one a wedding dish and another a staple dish eaten regularly.

The Menu

Rwandan Plantain and Beef 

The ingredients were,  Beef, Plantain, Onion and tomatoes.  Lemon juice rubbed on the cut Plantain and some chilli flakes for spice.   When you get a dish like this it is only going to depend on one thing only and that is preparation.  The directions for this dish were 'put in pot and cook till eat'.   This is where one gets to test their talent and really cook.  Technique is vital,  searing the beef first, deglazing with the onions,  slightly browning the plantains and finally adding the tomatoes.  Sounds simple enough however in reality it is balance of timing, heat and technique.   Caramelize the beef just right and seal it so the tomatoes added in the end does not toughen the beef up.   I cooked this for about 3 hrs and it was perfect.  I was lucky and able to bring out each flavour from each of the four ingredients just right.  
Isombe Stew

Originally made with Cassava leaves I substituted with Kale.   I am not ready to expand into cassava leaf territory as yet.  This dish is a staple in Rwanda and made with lots of greens,  cassava leaves, green onion, green pepper,  spinach, eggplant and peanut butter.   Yes peanut butter.   I took some leeway here as I had zucchini on hand and red peppers on hand.   All was right with this dish as I was constantly tasting as I went on.   However in my opinion the dish went wrong with the addition of the peanut butter, just not my taste I guess.   I would make this dish again without peanut butter.   Peanut butter is a staple in many African countries simply because it provides protein.  There seem to be many African dishes with made with peanuts or peanut butter.


Traditionally this meal would be eaten with Nshima or rice.  I chose to make rice as it just seemed to me that it would work better then Nshima.


We did not have dessert with our meal as it is not traditional to do so in Rwanda.  Generally fruits are consumed on and off during the day.

Comments