Hong Kong



I was once on a business trip to Hong Kong before it was re-united with China.   My memories of Hong Kong are of a bustling city that is filled with luxury and no expense is spared.   Back in the 1990's I remember paying over $100 USD just for breakfast.  It was intricate and had some shaved Kobe beef with eggs,  however in anyones books that is expensive.  I stayed at the YMCA and that was $150 a night,  but in its defence the YMCA was more luxurious then many a hotels I have stayed at around the world.  Hong Kong is going to be tricky to cook as most dishes are quite intricate and the general culture is of eating out.

The cuisine of Hong Kong is based on Chinese Cantonese cuisine with western and other asian influences.

The Menu

Sweet and Spicy Shrimp

This is a typical Hong Kong style dish where you would have the asian influence of garlic, ginger, scallions hot sauce combined with a sweet tomatoes based sauce.  The shrimp were delicious and all were eaten up in a rapid fashion.   Sometimes the really small things like the scallions are all that are needed to complete a dish.  





Char Siu Ginger Fried Rice

I really regret using a perfectly good pork tenderloin in this recipe.   I have made Char Siu several times and this time it turned out quite nice,  but only if eaten alone.  I really misjudged the additional cooking in the stir fry rice which dried out the pork slightly.  No one noticed but I did and was not impressed.   Pork Shoulder would be more apt for this recipe if a second stage of cooking is required like frying rice.  This recipe had fried egg in it like most asian fried rice dishes and I was paranoid of burning the egg which I did not.
Hong Kong Egg Tarts

Apparently this is one of the original Hong Kong recipes out there.   I made a butter crust pastry and used these for the shell.   I am not much for sweet egg's and was very hesitant on making this tart because of the lengthy procedure required for this tart.  The tarts ended up good, tasty and if there was any such thing as a typical Hong Kong asian taste this would be it.  It screamed of China town or Pacific Mall.




Comments