Korea






When South Korea showed up the first thing Victoria said was I want to make the music mix.  All I could think of was great Teeny Bopper K-Pop.   However thankfully she got busy that day and I was busy cooking.   I will never forget my first experience in a Korean restaurant.   It was a bbq joint and I went with the flow and ordered what the waiter recommended.   I had no clue I actually had to cook the food myself,  let alone eat it with grass (anything green and healthy).    Probably one of the worse meals I ever had in a restaurant.  Those were the days when cooking was sorcery of some type or the other.   Well times have certainly changed and cooking is now more of a passion and adventure.


Korean Chicken Sauce

I have continually found that one of the tricks to any asian style sauce was to get just the right balance of sweet, sour, and spicy tang for the dish you are going to serve along with it.  This can be tricky at times as these sauces are not as universal as one might think at times.  If the sauce is tasted by itself it feels incomplete or like something is missing.  However with the accompanying dish its a perfect balance of flavours and taste.   Honey, peppers, onion, garlic and citrus was used to make this sauce and the outcome was fantastic when served with the Korean Fried Chicken.


Korean Fried Chicken

Marinated over night in onions and garlic this chicken was a total winner.  Double fried and totally crispy, crunchy and tender these chicken morsels were served with the chicken sauce.   I am starting to see the merit of double frying quite a bit lately.   I pre fry to cook at a lower temp and a fry afterwards to crisp the chicken.  

Kimchi

I cheated and bought some from the asian store.  The goose liked it I was neutral and the kids were meh on it.   One of these days I am going to get more involved in fermenting vegetables and making home made kimchi.

Bulgogi Prime Rib Beef

These thinly cut rib steaks were marinated with kiwi, garlic, ginger, onions, sesame oil and spices for a few hours before being seared on high heat charcoal.  The results were a delicious and tender.   This was served with Kimchi.

I did not make an dessert for South Korea as I find that as spring and summer approaches I am more at a loss for time.

 



Comments