IRELAND




Home is where the heart is and my heart will always have a place in Dublin.  Even though I have lived in Canada over 30 years part of me will always call Ireland home.  I have a big week planned and definitely will be going all out for Ireland.




Now when one mentions BBQ thoughts of southern countries and lazy hazy summer days comes to mind.  However cooking over a flame or coals is really pretty standard mode of cooking worldwide.  After all we had fire before our gas and electric stoves.   So if I say Irish BBQ then one gets the look of having a wee bit too much whisky.  But in fact the reality is the World Cup Barbecue Championship is held in Lisdoonvarna, Ireland every September.  But can anyone tell me what beats a Guinness and a Grill...

I decided that with the exception of Monday I was going to do an Irish dish every day of the week.  The Irish are not to as well known for their cuisine as they are known for their music.   This stems from a long history of suffering, hardship and famine.   Most Irish dishes are simply seasoned and minimal herbs and spices if any are used.  However this does not mean there is any flavour or taste lacking to the dishes.   Quality of ingredients, freshness, and proper preparation is what makes the dish.

The Menu

Tuesday,  Irish Sausage and Potato Pie

I made some quick Irish sausage meat using, thyme, marjoram, basil, sage, rosemary, and fennel.   It turned out to be an outstanding combination that I will make again in the future and stuff or some breakfast sausage.  I cooked the sausage about 70% doneness.  I made some mashed potatoes and combined the mixture and simply set in the oven for about 40 mins.   I was actually very surprised that the whole dish was completely eaten that night by the family.   This was a lot of food but it was real stick to your ribs type of meal.





Wednesday,  Irish Flag Chicken
Ok this is not a true dish of Ireland but one inspired by my ingredients readily available in Ireland.  I marinated some bone in chicken breasts in mint and yogurt.   Grilled it on the egg along with the Orange peppers.  I made a quick mint-yogurt parsley sauce on the side and this dish and delicious.  





Thursday, Shepherds Pie

I have made this dish many times.  Comes together in about 30 minutes and is a longtime family favourite.   I use lamb and lace the mashed potatoes on top with cream and Irish cheddar cheese.   If there ever was a dish with simple ingredients and big flavour this would be it.



I think when Victoria goes to University I will make a bunch of these up and freeze them.   This way she has a good hearty meal if she is away from home.  OK getting ahead of myself back to reality but the point is that I believe she could survive endlessly on this dish alone.


Friday,  Sirloin Guinness Pie

Another family favourite,  sirloin steak slowly braised in Guinness with thyme and mushrooms.   Heavenly combination with a puff pastry top.   Victoria had a sleepover this night but seriously considered not going if she was going to miss this pie.  Sadly this is the only picture I have as the pie was eaten faster then one could take a picture.   

Saturday,  Pork Roast braised with Guinness, Onions and Carrots

I used pork loin here however I think I should have brined the pork in Guinness.  The gravy was simply made at the end by emulsifying the onions, carrots, Guinness and some cream together.   I would classify this dish as a not bad but not great and will need some tweaking in the future.  However it is always hard to keep up with Guinness Pie from the day before.



Sunday 

I had a full meal and day planned so this was one of those rare occasions where we bought a baguette as time was limited today, as our shower decided to leak and needed immediate attention.  

Mussels in Kilkenny Beer aka Drunken Mussels




We toasted, buttered and rubbed the baguette with garlic.   A can of Kilkenny some shallots and parsley to top was all that was needed for the mussels.  Served with a wedge of lemon this is one of those dishes that is quick simple and yummy.  However I think the dish would have been better with a different beer like Guinness or a Pilsener.


Dublin Lawyer

This is originally a dish made with lobster however I was a little worried on over cooking the lobster and do not have much experience with making a whiskey cream sauce.   I figured we would do a substitute of shrimp instead and call it a poor lawyers feast.   Well tickle me pink this dish was outstanding and served with a slice of lemon really sublime.   I will definitely be putting this in the rotation of dishes we really enjoyed.

Steam Oven Potatoes

That yummy whiskey cream sauce needed something to be soaked up in so as a side dish I made some potatoes in the steam oven.   There is something about roasting and steaming at the same time that creates a mashed potatoes like consistency on the inside while a crisp outside skin.
 






Irish Apple Coffee Cake

I used Granny Smith apples in this cake.  I made a mistake though of not cutting the apples small enough and the cake was a little chunky though very good indeed.


It really was fun cooking for my home country and I learned a few things as well.  BBQ is big in Ireland and our culinary dishes are flavourful, hearty and delicious.  I do miss Ireland at times but I am sure alot has changed since I have left when I was a kid.   Maybe someday Victoria will go to Trinity College in Dublin as a student or teaching professor.  I somehow feel this is a place she would really love.










Comments