India


When India came up on our list I got quite excited.  This is one of those countries with a near endless list of recipes.  Nearly every corner village and town has something unique in their cuisine.  From succulent kabobs to enticing curries.  Street food so unique and tempting I think I gained weight watching youtube videos of Indian Cuisine.   Now it is no secret I love Indian, Thai, and spicy cuisine from around the world as much as I love a delicate salmon in a lemon dill sauce.   However India is one of those countries I think I could spend years eating my way through it.   I would love a culinary adventure of Indian cuisine.  Maybe one day the goose and I will go on a culinary adventure of the world.  If I could add visiting every single country in the world and eating their cuisine and cooking in that country to my bucket list that would grant me eternal life,  as there would be no end.

The Menu

Kharman Dhokra 

Made from chickpea flour and baked in a steam oven.  I served this as an appetizer however it is really a snack food.  I quick fried some curry leaves, cumin, coriander, chilis and added sugar water to make a syrup to label over this cake.   Then sprinkled with shredded coconut it was absolutely delicious.

Aloo Bonga 

Spicy potato balls dipped in chick pea batter and deep fried.  This is one of the gooses favourite snacks at an Indian store locally.  I think mine were better by far but recipe needs tweaking a touch.
 

Coconut Chili Mint Dip

A very simple dip to make for the Aloo Bonga.  Simply combine mint, coconut a couple green chilies make a paste and add homemade yogurt.  Its delightfully refreshing and really matches wonderfully with the potato balls.

Aloo Keema

This is one of my all time favourite Indian foods.  Ground beef, tomatoes and potatoes with a good helping of spice and curry leaves.  Served with naan and fresh lemon.
 

Tandoori Chicken

Homemade Tandoori spice and homemade yogurt make all the difference.  However to kick it up a few notches I smoked these chickens over some walnut wood chips.  One of the tricks I have learned is that brining for 24 hours before smoking is a must for some amazing juiciness.   But when you infuse the brine with some of the key tandoori spice like star anise, cinnamon and cloves you have winner, winner, chicken dinner.

 

Gulab Jamon

Sweet milk-cheese balls deep fried and then soaked in a saffron, cardamon and slivered almond syrup. I made mine with almonds mixed in the milk dough.  I also learned about variable temperature frying.   Fry low and then raise heat to make the balls golden.   This was my first attempt at this so I had a couple mistakes however these were delicious.

 





Comments