Cinco de Mayo

Our tradition of cooking a different country every week started with Cinco de Mayo several years back.  As I now play catch up with the blog posts I find that the one event that always inspires me to try new recipes and ideas is Cinco de Mayo.

Tequila Cilantro Side Ribs

This was a rather simple marination of Tequila, Cilantro,  Lime, Orange,  and Jalapeño peppers.  I deviated from the original recipe by adding some Mexican oregano and ancho.   Marinated overnight and then slowly cooked in the oven and under the broiler to finish.   My original plan was to smoke these however with the chill in the air I was feeling lethargic.   In hindsight I do regret not smoking these.





Pineapple Pepper Salsa

I have been asked for salsa recipes many times and am always surprised by the reaction I get when I say just toss anything that seems right at the time in.   I truly believe that we got to stop being so rigid with recipes and let our minds expand to the moment of creativity.   Heres what went into this also,  Tomatoes,  Jalapeño,  Red Onion, Pineapple, Orange Pepper, Yellow Pepper, Cilantro, Lime, Lime zest and good avocado oil.   With Salsa my policy is if it feels right it probably will taste alright too.


Mexican Inspired Potatoes

My wife made these potatoes with cilantro and red onion.  However when she was not looking I gave it a touch of Mexican with a very generous helping of Ancho chilli powder :) .

 

Comments