Qatar Part 2

Our Menu

Chicken Machboos



I am always excited when I find a new spice and just love the experiments and such to follow.  I try and think of other recipes the spice can be used in or in different ways to use it.   Well Qatar even though not famous for culinary delights did have a few adopted recipes.   But these recipes did introduce us to three new ingredients Loomi ( a dried lime ),  Rose Water and Orange Blossom Water.

The Loomi did add a specific taste to the Chicken Machboos that was a welcome change from the ordinary or accustomed to taste one would expect from this dish.   But more surprisingly was that when tasted as is from the pot there was certain bitterness to the dish.   Not that it was bad but it was not the most appetizing of all.  However this all changes the minute you add the Rose Water to the dish and this brought the whole dish to a whole new level and quite appetizing.  Just a tablespoon of Rose Water changed a whole pot of Chicken Machboos.  Just goes to show a little bit of any ingredient is the little bit that makes or breaks a dish.

Now Rose Water has a vile sweet smell of cheap perfume gone bad that one would smell in a dingy after-hours club.  The smell put me quite off the stuff and that once again goes to show don't judge a water by its smell.   However in our quest to keep things as authentic as possible I kept my nose closed and added the Rose Water to the Chicken Machboos and the Mahalabiya.








Mahalabiya

Now heres a dish that is built to be bad.  Milk, Cornstarch,  Sugar,  Rose Water and Orange Blossom Water  topped with Pistachios.

YUK !!!  is what came to mind while making this.

I personally made myself a half portion in the Ramekin so not to subject myself to the torture I though I would endure putting this down my throat.

Well as one would not expect it was truly unexpected.   This desert was absolutely delicious.  The goose ate 2 servings and I did wish I had made myself a full serving.   But I did steal a bite or two from the kids.

We listened to music from Qatar via internet radio and mood was set for a truly unexpected and very enjoyable evening.






Every week we learn about a new culture with different customs and traditions.  Some countries have so many regions and traditions that it would take a year just to sample that countries different geographic treats.   Then there are countries like Qatar that is very rich,  with a small population and dishes that really belong to other countries but adopted into their traditions.  However these are the countries where one really learns about history and traditional influences from neighbouring countries.  One learns that Rose Water as vile as it may smell really has a part to play in cuisine when used appropriately.  Loomi even though traditional to the areas cuisine may be used in a Thai curry or an Indian lamb biryani.

Next week we are off to Cyprus and might be starting a new tradition of Kabob Thursdays.

Comments