Cinco de Maya



We built this city on rock and roll is a song that keeps repeating itself in my mind while I write this.  The reality is we have Mexico to thank for this little tradition of cooking different countries every week.   A few years back I decided to do a Mexican feast for Cinco the Maya and then the idea struck hey wouldn't it be neat to try different country foods every week.   I started a little while back out of curiosity to ask people how many new and different dishes do they try every month.  I was really surprised to find that most people just stuck to the same old recipes over and over.   Even worse was that in general it seems many people just buy ready made or processed foods.   I really think now that it should be mandatory for people to learn to cook simple and basic foods.  It should be a life skill like putting on your clothes.


Pork Carnitas

Pork shoulder braised in orange, cocoa and ancho chilies for 6 hours and then seared crisp at high heat.  Melt in your mouth with a slight crunch from the sear.

Salsa Cruda

Grape tomatoes, mayan onions, jalapeños, cilantro and mint with lime.  Yes it took alot of cutting but man was it worth it.   You can't only compare it to store bought mush.

Crispy Soft Taco's

These were puffy, crisp yet had a slight soft pliable feel to them.

Sour Cream with Lime Zest

I would have preferred to make fresh creme fraise but time, time was not on my side so I did this simple mixup.


 

Comments