New Zealand





I have met quite a few kiwis (aka New Zealanders)  over the years and I must say am quite fond of them.  They remind me of what an Irish person living in a warmer climate might be like.  Easy going and good hearted people.  The food is simple and flavourful.

Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder
Seared and slow roasted for 5 hours gives the lamb time to absorb the flavours of herbs.  This lamb was covered in a a paste made of anchovies, mustard and cumin.  The lamb came out tender and delicious.   Using the pan drippings I made a gravy to go with the lamb.  This gravy also did double duty on the butter mashed potatoes.  
Lamb Gravy

Making a gravy from the drippings of any roast is a must.  These pan drippings are just bursting with caramelized flavour.  However I find it very important to remove most of the if not all the fat before making the gravy.  My gravy technique is quite simple.  I sometimes add extra flavour of onions or garlic sautéed before adding the pan drippings along with some stock or water.  I let reduce and might thicken with a touch of flour or cornstarch.  For a more luxurious feel I emulsify some butter into the gravy.
Buttered Mashed Potatoes

Picking the right type of potato to make mashed potatoes with is crucial in my mind.  I prefer russets or yukon gold types of potatoes depending on the dish.  I actually believe firmly the right type of potato makes or breaks a dish.   These potatoes were made with butter and whipping cream.  I call these mashed potatoes the diet version.  
Kiwi Pavlova

An elegant dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova.   Freshly sliced kiwi fruit with champagne infused whipped cream (haha V got ya).  Pavlova is a fairly easy to make dessert if you do not rush it.  I have found the key is to let it cool down gradually in the oven with the door cracked open for several hours.







Comments