Fiji




For some reason I was really expecting more from Fiji.  I had these visions of a cross between Polynesian, Indian and South Pacific flavours.   The majority of the dishes I found were mostly Indian dishes with a some local ingredients.   My exotic images of Fiji were crushed and I was slightly disappointed in their food culture.  However having said all that I would love to visit Fiji one day.


Fijian Chicken Curry

This curry had alot of Indian influences with local ingredients.  Spices such as numeric, cumin, mustard seeds dominated the flavours.   Curry leaves,  Fijian eggplant, coconut milk and tomatoes all gave this curry a slightly exotic taste that was more I felt a variation of an Indian curry then something distinctly different.  

Fijian Banana Cake

This banana cake was different from the usual banana cakes because you used coconut milk rather then water in the mix.   I would say this cake had a very strange and different texture and mouth feel to it.  It was a moist dry cake.   I found this to be strange as I had never experience this before.   As for taste and flavour it was just ok however I could see this cake being served in the warm climate with a tea or coffee.   In some strange way that works for this cake.




 


Comments