Albania



Albanian cuisine has evolved from influences of many neighbouring countries.  With a strong use of mediterranean spices and influences.   The main meal of the day is usually lunch.  However depending on the region of Albania the dishes can be quite varied.   With Italian to Turkish and even Arabian influences the meals are what one may consider fusion to a certain degree yet maintaining a distinct Albanian flavour.

The Menu

Tavi Kosi  

Tavi Kosi the national dish is simply baked lamb in yogurt.  Well honestly I was not expecting much from this dish at all.   It sounded pretty bland with just a bit of garlic, oregano, nutmeg, eggs, rice and yogurt.   However there is something magical that happens to proteins when they are cooked with yogurt.  The lamb was delicious and the yogurt and egg mixture it was baked in was not bad at all.  I would not say its one of my favourite dishes however I would respect it for what it is.   This dish did feel Albanian in every sense and had that certain mediterranean quality to it and taste to it.   What I do love about this dish is that it does make you feel for a moment that you are in Albania.   Some foods when done right can do that.  Every time I eat fish and chips with malt vinegar that is done right I very easily can transport myself back to an Irish seaside.    This dish made me feel like I was in Albania.

Byrek Me Spinaq

Spinach pie with filo pastry.  This recipe screamed of Greek and Turkish influences.  It is a common meal accompaniment in Albania and considered more a side dish.   Similar to how we would consider roasted potatoes or a salad.   The more I cook the more I learn how important fresh, good and quality ingredients are.  This pie is humble with just spinach, green onions, eggs, and feta cheese,  however using quality ingredients this pie is a taste sensation.  The little things like buttering each layer of Filo do make all the difference.  
Revani
A semolina and flour cake with candied lemon.   With the Albanian music playing in the background this matched.  This cake has a different taste to it compared to our run of the mill North American cakes however it fits the location.   I liked it.   There is something about cooking the world that you learn to respect and appreciate and that is simply to put your mind in the frame of mind of actually being there.  Its amazing how much you really start to enjoy the food then.  Just imagining what it would be like to be there.


 


Comments