Burma




A country rich in culinary tradition.  I really looked forward to cooking Burmese food.   With Christmas fast approaching the schedule was starting to get more and more hectic.   For this reason I was not able to do all the research I normally would do for a country and followed the first recipes I found.   The dinner was delicious and I especially liked the Wata Majeedi.

The Menu

Chicken Satay with Peanut/Coconut Sauce

Chicken thighs marinated in a concoction of spices overnight with a homemade spicy peanut and coconut sauce.   There is nothing not to like in this recipe.  The gentle hint of lemongrass and ginger with the sweetness of coconut and the crunch of roasted peanuts.  I did not over process the ginger in the chicken so we had these tiny strands of ginger on the chicken.  YUM.


Wata Majeedi (Pork Tamarind Curry)

I came across this Burmese recipe and had a hmm this looks interesting and I get to try a new ingredient Shrimp Paste.  I used pork shoulder and marinated this overnight in tamarind, chilis, ginger, garlic and of course shrimp paste.   When I made this curry I was not prepared for the absolutely outstanding result I got.  This was just awesome, full of flavour and taste.   Served over basmati rice this dish is going down in the books as a keeper.





 Avocado Ice-cream

Homemade Ice-cream is worth every effort put into it.  This simple to make ice-cream had a velvety smooth texture with a nutritious side to it.  Just a lovely way to finish after a wonderful meal.




My happy helper



Comments